Sunday, February 14, 2010

Chick Flicks

A couple of years ago, for reasons that I will never know, my brother decided to read The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks. What can I say? He may be big and tough on the outside, but he's a real softy on the inside. I remember Coley reading these books and saying outloud things like "Come on, Nick. Fix this! You're killing me here!" He wanted nothing more than for things to resolve themselves, perhaps a little more quickly than the author had in mind. (I think I also have to say that he did NOT shed a tear while reading these books.)

Shortly after he read these books, I made a New Year's Resolution to read more and he suggested that I read them. I had yet to see the movie, The Notebook, so I figured it couldn't hurt to read the book first and then I would watch the movie. I'm pretty sure that the first time I ever cried while reading a book was toward the end of The Notebook. But to say that I only cried would be an understatement. I bawled. And I bawled at the end of The Wedding, too.

I was sorely disappointed when I watched the movie. I was actually more than disappointed; I was pissed. The movie was not the sappy love story that the book was and that I wanted so badly to see played out on my television. It has taken me a long time to come to like the movie, but it isn't a favorite by any stretch. I like it a little more every time I see it, which is probably why I have to at least have it on in the background every time I see it in my on-screen guide. It's as though I'm forcing myself to like it. I feel less feminine when I have to tell someone that I don't looooove that movie and cry my eyes out (like I do during P.S. I Love You) every time I see it. I'm a little afraid someone is going to start revoking my sassy high-heel shoes one pair at a time.

Dear John is now in theaters. I wanted to see the movie, but also wanted to read the book. Before I could read the book, as I would normally do before seeing a movie made from a book, Kevin asked me if I wanted to see the movie. I decided that I'd put the cart before the horse this time, so we saw it last night. After leaving the theater, I thought that maybe this is the way to handle the whole book-to-movie situation where Nicholas is concerned. If this transition is anything like that of The Notebook, the two could be just different enough to make them both equally enjoyable. So we'll see how it goes. Now I just need to get my hands on a copy of the book. Surprisingly enough, Coley doesn't have it.

On a sort of related note, our "date" was actually a double feature. We saw Valentine's Day first. It was really good and will most likely be added to my DVD collection as soon as it is released. As we stood in line before the movie, we discussed the casting and talked about the last movie that we both remember seeing with so many big names in it. The movie that came to mind was He's Just Not That Into You. We agreed that, even with the cast, the movie was less than stellar. I'm pretty well convinced that Valentine's Day was 10 times better simply because Scarlett Johansson wasn't in it. The main reason for that being, of all the story lines going on, none called for a homewrecker.

No comments: