Friday, February 26, 2010

Olympics

A few weeks ago, as the world was preparing for the opening ceremony of the Olympics, I was curious as to whether I would get as hooked on these winter games as I did the summer games in 2008. I was a little worried because I remember how late I would stay up to watch different events. I, for really the first time in my life, just had to watch.

I watched the opening ceremony, though not the entire thing, and then figured that I'd watch throughout the weekend since I didn't have much going on. As it turns out, I didn't bother to turn on the games until late that Saturday night when I was getting ready to go to bed. Sunday rolled around and my parents surprised me by bringing chili to my place after church. No more than five minutes after getting to my place, my dad said "Um... I need to be watching the olympics." Excuse me!

It just so happened that there was a women's hockey game on (USA and Canada, if that sort of detail is important to you) and after a few minutes of watching, I found myself wondering when we could possibly see some beach volley ball. Now, I'm aware that beach volley ball isn't a winter sport. And I think it was at that moment that I realized that these games weren't going to be as important to me as the summer games were. I think in my heart of hearts, I'm tired of cold weather and being cold and, even though it's probably 40 degrees warmer here than in Vancouver, I don't really want to watch other people be cold.

Don't get me wrong, I haven't completely boycotted the olympics altogether. I've watched a little bit here and there and I keep up with the medal counts and read the big stories online. My dad might call me a communist (since my brother, who has done so in the past, probably wouldn't think about doing it since he's a missionary and all) if I didn't watch sometimes or at least turn it on when he calls me and says "Are you watching it?" as soon as I answer. Obviously he is completely into it. In fact, he keeps asking my mom if she thinks he's too old to compete in the next games in whatever sport happens to be on. Mostly luge, skeleton, speed and figure skating. Last weekend, after watching the men's speed skating, my dad came in from the garage wearing a helmet and sunglasses and swinging his arms like he was skating around the house. I think that was his first official work out.

If anything, what little I've seen has made me want to at least try skiing or snowboarding. Shocking, right? I'll probably break something important, like my face, but at least I could say that I made an effort. That attempt will probably have to be made at the beginning of the winter season, though. Not late February, when I'm dying to be back in shorts and a t-shirt.

No comments: