Monday, June 21, 2010

"Angel Kisses"

The sun and I have always had a love-hate relationship. I like to go to the pool and swimming, but I hate sun screen. It feels gross and smells even worse. As a kid, my least favorite thing about being on vacation was putting on sunscreen. It was such a hassle, especially when you're already wet.

As a teenager, I wanted to be able to lay out like my friends did. The problem with that is that I would get sunburned and be miserable for days on end. Even if I put sun screen on when I first went out, I'd forget to reapply or just tell myself I'd suffer the consequences. Suffering the consequences of a painful sunburn are much easier said than done.

As an adult, I've finally made peace with the fact that I have to wear sunscreen. In the past couple of years (and with the invention of spray sun screen), I've gotten much better about it. I get annoyed with myself if I get burnt, but realize I have no one to blame but myself. I've also come to terms with the fact that I will never tan. Never. I'm still trying to figure out when people, who have known me for years, will figure this out also.

What I do get are freckles. I must have millions. When I am out in the sun for long periods, more start showing up, too. You'd think that, with as many as I have, you wouldn't be able to spot new ones. But the word "freckles" is weird. If you use the word to describe what someone looks like, it more a strike against them.

When people talk about mine, I sometimes feel defensive. In my head, I think "Don't talk about them! If you don't mention them, it's like they don't exist." I need to get over that and I'm starting to. Lately, I've seen more and more people that I think are beautiful and it has occurred to me that they have freckles, too. I think I'll keep working on mine. I don't have much of a choice, do I?

What I have yet to come across, though, is someone who wishes they had more. That'll be the day...

No comments: