Friday, January 14, 2011

What A Pain

When rumors were first going around that lay-offs were iminent in my office, I told my parents that I would be moving home if I didn't have a job. My mom seemed fine with it, maybe even secretly excited. My dad was a little more hesitant, but not because he doesn't want me there. I think. ;-) But then I survived the lay-offs and it was kind of a relief that I wouldn't have to do that. I was going to be able to continue on as normal (as normally as you can when 1/3 of your friends have just been let go) and keep calling Orlando my home. Then the bomb dropped that the office would be closing altogether and I was now out of a job and I was facing the reality of potentially moving home.

I may have said this before, but I'm going to say it again. Moving home messes with your head. Please don't misunderstand, I love my parents and I am so, so, so greatful that they are supportive of me and are allowing me to move back home until I find another job. But after being on your own for a long time, it's tough. I know that it isn't my fault that I'm in this situation, but I still wish it weren't happening. However, I do believe that things happen the way that they're supposed to and that everything will work itself out in due time.

Regardless, moving is not fun. I don't care what anyone says, even if they are crazy enough to say that it is. And this move is especially annoying simply because I'm moving back to my parents' house. My parents are not the annoying part; I love them and am kind of looking forward to being able to hang out with them all the time (probably more than they're looking forward to it!). But the annoying part about it is that I have to figure out what I'm going to need for the immediate future and what can go in to storage.

How long will I be living there? I have no idea. How long have I lived on my own? Over seven years consecutively, so I've got stuff. A lot of stuff. Well, not like a hoarder or anything, but enough. What's deceiving, though, is that I like things put away. So when I look around my apartment, I think "Oh, this isn't so bad." And then I open a cabinet that is (neatly) packed with... stuff. So far, I have two and half boxes packed and I have 17 days to be out. Eventually the pressure will move me to get myself in gear.

Aside from the packing, there's all the other things that have to be done in order to be completely moved out. I painted probably two-thirds of the wall space in my apartment. The good news is that I only have to put a coat of primer on the walls before I leave. The bad news is that the coat of primer has to be applied to the walls before I leave. It's not exactly an afternoon task. Then there's the change of address with the post office, with the actual people that send me mail, and on my license and closing my accounts with the power and cable companies. Part of me hopes that this move lasts more than a month just so that I don't have to go through this re-building phase two days after getting to my parents'!

There are some pros to moving there, though. I'll be saving money, which is the biggest one. My dad asking me "Did you run today?" will drive me a little crazy, but also keep me motivated. (Especially since, just tonight, I gave Kelsey a verbal, public agreement to run the Marine Corps Marathon at the end of October. What?!) I won't have to eat leftovers for a week straight after cooking. I won't have to hunt my parents down when they aren't home on Monday night to read Coley's e-mail. And the icing on the cake: I'll be sleeping in a pink room every. single. night.

I'm sure there are a lot more pros that I have yet to see, but will in the coming weeks and months. I am hoping that once I get settled, I'll actually get motivated to look for a new job. Right now, I'm just not, but I do feel like what's going on is what's right for the time being.

And I've got some training to do. 26.2 miles isn't going happen overnight!

No comments: