Saturday, February 19, 2011

Getting Serious

Before I ever ran the half marathon, my friend asked me if I wanted to run a 15k with her in Jacksonville in March. I said "Sure! After a half marathon, a 15k will be a breeze." My only reservation was where I might be on the weekend of the race, especially when I lost my job, but I found a training plan and tried to follow it so that I'd be prepared. With the move, the training got put on the back burner, but actually registering for the race re-inspired me. Then I worked a meeting for a week in Orlando ate like I had the best metabolism ever - which I don't, if you were wondering. Four weeks before the race. No bueno.

I knew I needed to get myself in gear and said it the entire week at the meeting. "On Monday, it's back to reality. I'm running four miles and then getting back on the training plan. I have to get a couple of good, long runs in before race day." Besides, the first few days of eating from a decent buffet and unlimited (mini-ish) desserts was fun, but started to take it's toll. By the end of the week, I was still eating everything that caught my eye, I just didn't enjoy it as much. Why did I not exercise self-control? Because that's just not an option on-site. Work a meeting and you'll see what I mean.

Thank goodness B was in town this weekend and we'd made plans to go for a run. When she said that she wanted to run the causeway, I was hesitant, but game. Her reasoning was simple and so smart. The
Gate River Run ends with a bridge (on a bridge? over a bridge? whatever. there's a bridge at the end.) and she wanted to have a little practice before the big day. Thank goodness she knows these things because I do not.

So after my crazy week with lots of early mornings, I got up at 6:30 this morning to run the causeway. Let me first say that it is FAR from the intersection of Eau Gallie Boulevard and South Patrick/Riverside to the west side of the causeway. In a car, it seems like nothing, but when you're heading west on foot, it feels almost like it might not end. Perhaps I'm just not used to running straight stretches. I try to incorporate turns into my runs so that I have a change of scenery to look forward to. If not, all I can think about it how my run will never end. It must be that whole setting-short-term-goals-makes-the-long-term-goal-seem-more-doable thing. Or I have a bit of ADD.

All in all, starting and ending at Gleason Park, we ran 4.4 miles in 53 minutes. I was proud of the fact that I ran more of the "ascent" than I thought I'd be able to and I used the "descent" portion to keep running instead of taking a walking break. I might even try to find someone to run the causeway with at least once more before the race. I could definitely use the practice and it's actually kind of fun.

In other running news, the registration for the Marine Corps Marathon opens this Wednesday at noon. I will be registering as soon as I can so that I don't miss out. Hopefully I'll stop waking up in the morning thinking "What day is it?! Did I miss the registration?!"

Who have I become??? My one yucky, bruised toenail suggests a runner. Thank heaven for nail polish!

No comments: