Monday, February 21, 2011

Neck & Neck

I was already planning to participate in Disney's Marathon Weekend next January. I made that decision just after crossing the finish line of the half marathon. So it made it easy to commit to a friend of mine when she invited me to join her team for next year. The team name is Team Neck & Neck and it's to support Thyroid Cancer awareness. I'm adding a link to the website on my sidebar, too, if I can figure out how to do it properly. There's also a public event on Facebook if you want to find out more.

T asked me to put together a bio for the website and it was at that time that I realized I should figure out which race I'm running. My initial plan was to run the half again so that Coley and I could do it together; I've already talked him in to doing it. But then I will be running the Marine Corps Marathon about two months prior to Disney's weekend, so I thought maybe I should do the full one. I'm not sure if I can talk Coley in to jumping in with both feet quite yet, though. The solution to this little problem would be to do the Goofy. Run the half and the full. Called the Goofy after the dog and because people who do that are, well... goofy.

You would think that I wouldn't even be considering do that, since my run this morning was less than stellar. In fact, I almost turned around and went home a number of times. The first couple of times were because some weird guy came out of the bushes and was waving at me and he didn't look all that trustworthy. He looked like he was looking for his next victim. The other times were because I was hurting. Badly.

One way or the other, I'll be running at least one of the races. I've got plenty of time to decide which or both. Guess who else has time to decide which to do? You! I realize that there are only like two people that ever read this, but I'm here to tell you two that if I can run these kinds of races, so can you. It really is a lot of fun and this team is a great cause to run for. Actually, you don't even have to run. You just have to be able to keep a 16:30 per mile pace. That's what I constantly reminded myself of throughout the training. If I could average less than 16:30 per mile, I was golden.

If nothing else, running really tones your legs and butt. I'm still waiting on some results in the mid-section! :-)

No comments: