Friday, February 18, 2011

Rapid Aging

Last Friday I started a six day stint as a staff person for a meeting. I was just getting used to this whole unemployment/vacation thing only to have to get back in to work mode. Six days straight was a bit much, but I survived. Barely.

Today was the first day that I got to sleep in again, which was fan-freakin'-tastic. I also had a few errands to run at the mall before getting a much needed and anticipated haircut. I'd gotten an e-mail about the President's Day sale going on at Loft, so I thought I'd stop in to see if I could pick up a shirt or something.

When I was checking out, the girl at the register asked if I wanted to give my e-mail address. I told her that I already got the e-mails, but she said they were updating them, so I gave it to her again. (I really need the daily e-mails letting me know of the new arrivals and sales.) After she finished typing it, she said "82 (part of my e-mail address)... Is that when you graduated or something?" I was floored! I said "Graduated?! Um, no. When I was born." Then she simply said "Oh." as though she was just slightly off the mark. Like "Did you graduate from high school in 82?" and I said "No, college." I really thought she would come back with something along the lines of "How silly of me! Of course you couldn't have graduated in 1982!" Not even close.

I then said "Do I look old enough to have graduated in '82?" And she just said no, as if my question were completely ridiculous. So I said "I know it's been a long, rough week, but I didn't realize that I looked that bad." And she just said "'82... that would make you even older than me." For the record, she looked like she was easily 45, so it wasn't like she was a young college-age girl.

The fact that she never even attempted to recover from this blunder just blew me away. It's almost as if she had no idea how insane her question was. Ever since I moved back home, I've had countless people ask me if I am getting ready to go off to college or if I just graduated from college. Before today, I couldn't get people to believe I'm almost 22, much less almost 29, if I tried! People think my brother is older than me! Yet I have somehow managed to age 30 years in the last week.

The meeting was no walk in the park, but evidently it took more of a toll on me than I thought. Thank goodness I've got a few days off now to recover. Apparently I need it. And some anti-aging cream.

No comments: