Friday, January 1, 2010

Aren't I Obligated?

I didn't plan on writing some cliche blog post on New Year's Day, but here I am.

I've been going back and forth in my mind about just how big a deal December 31 and January 1 are or should be. On one hand, it does seem to signify a clean break or the opportunity of a fresh start. On the other hand, though, it really is just another day.

I keep seeing people's status updates regarding how much they're looking forward to 2010 being sooo much better than 2009 was and they're glad to see 2009 go. As much as I'd like to agree with them and turn my back on the past and march into the future with a hopeful heart, I really can't do that.

For me, 2009 was a pretty good year. I'd venture to say that it's got to be one of my favorites so far. I learned a lot about myself, what I'm capable of handling and what I really deserve and want. I came to realize that my brother is the best friend I have, whether he's in the next room or in another country. He'll always be there for me and support me and my decisions, whether he agrees with them or not.

I think I laughed more than I ever have in my life and had the most fun that I've thus far. I absolutely cried more than I ever thought possible, but I'm completely okay with it. I own every single tear and would rather someone think me a crybaby than made of stone. I feel like I've finally gotten to a point in my life where I'm comfortable in my own skin and, while I've said it for a long time, I truly mean it when I say "love it or leave it."

Don't get me wrong, I hate it when people are upset with me and I don't ever mean to ruffle people's feathers, but I'm beyond trying to please everyone at the expense of my own happiness or beliefs. I'm capable of letting things go to avoid conflict, but I'm getting out of the habit of going along with someone or something that I don't believe to be right just for the sake of not rocking the boat.

There are definitely things that I look forward to in the coming year, but nothing momentous. On Monday, I'll be back at work, feeling more like myself than I have as of late. There are work and leisure trips penciled in and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they actually come to fruition. Perhaps I'll be able to add one or two more trips in there that aren't expected at this time. Only time will tell.

The bottom line is that if 2010 is half as good to me as 2009 was, I'll consider myself very lucky. After all, 2009 was full of unexpected surprises. And if you know me, you know how I love surprises...

1 comment:

Jen said...

You go girl! You sound more like yourself than you have in a long time, and for that I'm very, very happy :)