Friday, January 29, 2010

Didn't Ross Have This Problem?

It had been brought to my attention, on more than one occassion, that items in the refrigerator at work would go missing or get used by someone other than the owner of said items. And I'm not just talking a little creamer here, a little peanut butter there. I'm talking whole Subway sandwiches and slices of pizza in Tupperware containers. I had never been a victim of this happening until today.

Earlier in the week, I put some hummus in the refrigerator with my initials on the container. I intentionally put my name over the flavor so that it wouldn't be any more enticing to a potential thief. This morning, I went to get it and enjoy a little morning snack and noticed that someone had helped themself to my hummus! It was obvious that I wasn't the last person to eat it because I am not a scooper. This person had gone to town and practically dug all the way to the bottom of the container. I was not happy.

The more I thought about it, the more disappointed I became. I'm not as upset about the fact that I paid for it and someone stole from me. I am really most disturbed that I don't know who was eating out of my food and where their hands/mouths/other food products used for dipping have been. What if they're sick and double dipped? What if they don't wash their hands after using the restroom? Ew. Ew ew ew.

Unfortunately, we have a problem with this in our office. I suppose I was on the luckier side that I still had something left in the container. These theives will use people's condiments all up and then leave the empty container in the refrigerator for the owner to find. How rude?! When I first started, an angry e-mail went out from someone who went to get their Cheerios for breakfast only to find the box almost completely empty. They were NOT happy and I thought it was a little bit funny. I think this is slightly humorous, but also inconsiderate.

The sad part is, if the person had just asked me if they could have some, I would have gladly shared with them. I would've even offered them some of my delicious pita chips to go along with it. Who am I to deprive someone of its tasty goodness when they need a snack? I'm fairly certain that I offered to share, while I was eating it, with at least five people during lunch on Wednesday. And, make no mistake, I'm the only JL in the building.

Evidently they needed it worse than I do. I don't hope that they get sick or anything, but I do hope that they feel badly and at least ask the next time. I just can't imagine taking and eating something that someone else brought in, especially if their name was on it. Who does that? There's a difference between the food in your kitchen at home and at work. A big difference.

From now on, I'll be leaving my items in a brown paper bag where no one can see the contents. I thought about putting some random name so that people are confused, but thought that might backfire with the culprit thinking "No one by that name works here. It must be for anyone!" The only other alternative that I've come up with is to bring in my own mini refrigerator to put at my desk. That might be a bit overboard, though...

1 comment:

Jen said...

Gross! Think about it from their point of view, too... They're just digging in to random stuff in the fridge, not knowing what kind of cooties other people have. Whomever this person is, they're either starving homeless style or they're a total degenerate. Ew.