Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Real Thing

I've been trying to drink less soda and more water lately. I am usually pretty good about the water drinking, but since landing in Atlanta, I've been finding it harder and harder to choose water. I think it has something to do with the fact that when I look out the window of my hotel room, I see a sign very similar to this:


I love Coca-Cola Classic. It is delicious. And I much prefer it from the fountain rather than from a can or bottle. The real problem is that when I drink it, I get "cracked out." My heart races, I talk fast, and I act a little crazier than normal. My brother can hear the Coke in my voice. It's kind of funny... until I can't go to sleep at night. I always make fun of my mom because she loves Diet Coke and I once asked her why she passed on getting one at dinner. She said "It keeps me up at night." The way she said it sounded funny at the time, but I know what she means now.

I started out with the good intention of staying away from the caffeine altogether, since they have stocked our office with both regular coke and caffeine-free. That was short-lived, though, because it just doesn't taste the same. I can't put my finger on what exactly the difference is (does caffeine actually alter the flavor of a drink?) but it was significant enough that I couldn't finish the entire can. Perhaps if I have some time and can get someone to assist in an experiment, I'll attempt to do a blind taste test. For scientific purposes, only, of course.

When we arrived at the hotel and were sitting down to have lunch, I told my co-worker that I felt obligated to have some Coke while we're here. She asked if it tastes different, since Atlanta is the home Coca-Cola's headquarters. My reply was simple: "I feel like it does."

If I had my way, I'd head right over to the World of Coke and spend hours in the room where you can drink Coke products until your heart's content. I doubt I'm going to have time for that, since I am here for work and not pleasure. I guess I'm just going to have to drink as much as I can right here at hotel. Once I get home, it's back to attempting to be healthy and take care of myself. That's just not as fun... or tasty.

No comments: