Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Slip & Fall

I've lived in my apartment for four and a half years. I have come close to falling on the stairs a couple of times and those have been some pretty close calls. I have actually fallen twice. The first time I blogged about, more so because it was funny and I felt sort of stupid. The second time I feel I should blog about because, well, I feel like it.

I took the morning off to go to the dentist. I got to sleep in, worked on some laundry and had plans to do a few other things afterward before heading in to work. On my way down the stairs (approximately 4 or 5 steps from the bottom), I managed to slip and fell down to the bottom. I'm not sure if it was my feet hitting every step on the way down, in attempt to catch myself, or my tailbone, but my tailbone took the brunt of things.

I was able to call my mom to tell her what happened, though I'm pretty sure that she did not realize it was me on the phone immediately. I have no idea how long I sat on that bottom step either. I think I was in shock. I tried to get out to my car to actually continue with my day, but almost passed out in the parking lot.

How a maintenence man was the only person to pass by me during all of this, I don't know. He didn't stop, but I doubt I looked like I was actually in distress. I probably looked like an idiot sitting on the bottom step. It was also a painful reminder that I live alone and know no one in my complex and my parents are an hour away. But thank goodness they're an hour away.

My mom got my dad to come check on me and inevitably take me to the doctor so that I could get an x-ray. Never in my life have I had anything x-rayed. Until today! Amazingly, nothing is broken, but I am in more pain than I've ever been in in my life. My dad was so kind as to point out that I'll probably never feel pain like this again... until I have a baby. Awesome. And now that has been put on an even more indefinite hold.

Thank heavens one of my good friends is a CMA at an urgent care and was nice enough to get me right in. I don't exactly know how I would've endured going somewhere else or to the ER. It was hard enough standing for the hour that I was at her office. Sitting hurts the worst, but laying down isn't that comfortable either. Standing was the most tolerable, but even that is getting harder. I'm not sure how I'm going to go back to work on Thursday. It will be very interesting, I guess.

From what I hear, this hurts for a pretty long time. I'm sort of hoping to be a medical miracle and be healed by tomorrow. I wonder what the odds of that really are...

No comments: