Friday, April 30, 2010

Good vs. Evil

I've been trying to count calories lately and, frankly, I suck at it. I mean, I can do it. I just put what I eat into my little app on my phone and it counts them all up for me. But I hate, haaaaaaaaate accounting for every single morsel of food that I put in my mouth. It does nothing but drive me insane.

See, when I go home at night (and actually enter my dinner into the app) and have calories left over, I start thinking of all the things in my apartment that I could possibly eat so that I consume every single one allotted to me for the day. Eventually I get caught up in some show on TV and forget that I have calories left to eat or I just tell myself that it's better to be under than to go over. Those are the good days, when the angel on my shoulder wins or at least talks louder than the devil.

Then there's the devil. She tells me that if I have left over calories on Monday, it's okay to eat them on Tuesday. And if Tuesday's don't all get eaten, then maybe I'm on some sort of roll. And then if I'm good enough to get all the way to Friday with extra uneaten calories from Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday AND Thursday, I can have pretty much whatever I want. I haven't consulted any sort of nutrition expert on this, but I'm afraid it probably doesn't work that way. I like to think it does, but I'm most likely wrong.

There are also the instances where the devil tells me that if I don't record something I've eaten, it didn't really happen. Usually those meals are things like burrito bols from Chipotle, dos tacos from Tijuana Flats, and banana ice cream with chocolate chips from Cold Stone. You know, the worst things for you. Though, surprisingly, the banana ice cream is not as bad calorie-wise you think. It's also quite tasty.

I also abhor working out. I feel great afterward, but actually getting started and getting through any sort of physical activity is like torture for me. I would love for this to be different. In my head, I'd love to run a marathon. Just one, to say that I did it. How in the world can I do that, though, if I can't even talk myself into going to the mailbox more than once a week? (Unless I'm waiting for my Ensign
to arrive. Then I check the mail every day. Where is it anyway? Isn't it usually delivered before the first of the month?) This past week I actually thought that I could, technically, start training now and run the Disney Marathon in January. Then I thought of all the things that would get in the way of that training schedule (traveling for work in June, vacation in July, the possibility of traveling again for work in October, a cruise in November, then the holidays) and that was that.

I am pretty decent at keeping New Year's Resolutions if I write them down. I think I'll write somewhere that I need to get some sort of marathon training plan together by the first of the year. That should be enough time to accomplish that task, right? Then, my New Year's Resolution for 2011 will be to train and run in a marathon... Sometime by the end of the year... At least a half anyway...

P.S. I was under my calories for three of the last four days. That means that I'm allowed to have an extra 530 calories today. Thank goodness because I'm sure my dinner at Chevy's tonight will put me over my daily allowance. One serving of corn tamalito: 190 calories. I might have two.

No comments: