Thursday, March 31, 2011

Busy

Yesterday was the beginning of a busy few weeks. I worked a dinner meeting in Jacksonville, driving up and back in less than 12 hours. All that driving wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be, even though it rained for a good portion of it. The meeting was at a Ruth's Chris, which was great because I was fed well and had leftovers. (My dad will probably benefit from them more than I will.) The not-so-great part of it was the subject of the meeting: IBS. I'll spare you the details, only saying that "raisinets" was used as a comparison. It's a good thing that there's really no subject that can be discussed over a meal that will make me not want to eat. Well, maybe that isn't a good thing, but it worked out well for me last night.

Next Wednesday I leave to do another meeting and will be gone for a week. I'm looking forward to it, but am a little nervous. It's different doing contracted staff work than being from the home office. I probably over-think everything I do, but I just want to make sure that I don't make things more difficult for the people who have to piece together the information that I give them after the meeting is over. I know how that is and sometimes I felt like a detective. Hmm... maybe I should put that on the list of potential careers. That can be right after Court Reporter. Oh, sorry.

The week after I get back, my brother will be home. There is no number of exclamation points that could properly convey how excited I truly am. It feels like we have all been "nesting" in preparation for him to get back. His room is pretty much finished, except for what needs to be hung on the walls. In reality, he'd be fine if nothing else gets hung up. Bambi has found a new corner, which is all he'll really care about.

His room turned out so well; there was a lot of hard work and love that went in to it. I don't pretend to have had any sort of significant part in that. My parents did most of it, though I did help some. If you'd ever seen his room (which is unlikely because it usually had clothes thigh-deep and you couldn't get past the door), you wouldn't even recognize it now. We hung new drywall on one wall - yes, we as in me, my mom, and my dad, together, no one else - painted the walls, put in crown molding, new baseboards, a new door frame, framed out the window, put in wood floors, and his new headboard will be here soon. Before Bambi found his new home, it looked like very beachy. Now, we affectionately call it Bambi's Beach Bungalow. I may post some before and after pictures, but not until he's see it. He has no idea what's in store for him.

Perhaps the most important "event" coming up is
General Conference. I am so looking foward to camping out at home all weekend with my parents and being spiritually fed by these inspired men and women this weekend. As a kid, I dreaded going, but maybe that was because you had to go to the church and sit in the dark for two hours watching the broadcast in church clothes and uncomfortable chairs . As an adult, I appreciate it and look forward to watching all four sessions. But I also get to do so in comfy clothes and pig out on whatever junk we've stocked up on for the occassion.

Thank heaven for modern technology! And for three more e-mails. :-)

1 comment:

Jen said...

IBS + Raisinets = Not great dinner conversation. Even for Ruth's Chris, which is one of my faves.