Thursday, March 10, 2011

The First Time I Turned 29

I wasn't looking forward to turning 29. At all. Clearly my mom wasn't excited about it either and she didn't help things when she told me "You're old!" as she left for work at 6:30 this morning. I think I might actually like this age after all, though. If today was any indication of how the next 364 will go, I think I'll stay 29 forever.

I went for a run when I got up, but didn't get very far because it was raining. I was disappoint, but things seemed to be looking up when my hair decided to cooperate. Cooperative hair is always good. I then got a (free, except for tip!) manicure and had lunch with my dad and Papa. The day was still young, so I thought it'd be a good idea to get a pedicure to go with the manicure. My dad sprung for the pedi, but got lucky when the guys at the nail place only charged me half price since it was my birthday. Oh, and because my dad helps them out since their businesses are a few doors apart.

More people than I ever could've imagined wished me a happy birthday on facebook and via text. I also got birthday wishes in person and over the phone. I'm normally content to blen in with the crowd, but once in a while I do like the attention. Furthermore, I was pleasantly surprised by who wished me a happy birthday a few times. It could only have been better if Tom Selleck had proposed. Or Topher Grace. Topher's probably more age appropriate.

The best part of the day was easily dinner and dessert. My parents and I went to Texas Roadhouse for delicious steaks and rolls with cinnamon butter. Even though I don't really like it, some of the servers sang their birthday song to me. Why does it feel like that thing lasts for 20 minutes? When we got home, we had mini cupcakes that I picked up at
Sweet! in Orlando yesterday. If you've never had their cupcakes and have the chance to, do not miss out. They are amazing.

I have been thinking about all the things that I've "accomplished" over the last year and how much I know I've grown, whether or not anyone notices or realizes. And then I started thinking about all the things that will happen while I'm 29. I think that this is going to be a really good year. By this time next year, I plan on being able to confidently say that I'm a runner. (Currently I feel like I'm 85% runner and 15% poser.) I think that running at least three races will help with that. I'd also like to be gainfully employed by then, for the record.

Basically, my plan is to enjoy every second of the end of my twenties and to continue to look like I barely got to them.

No comments: